Recent Reads: A Well-Behaved Woman by Therese Anne Fowler

My review: 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

A Well-Behaved Woman is a fictionalised version of the events of Alva Vanderbilt's life, from her humble beginnings, her marriage to William Vanderbilt, to her support of Suffragettes.

It was amazing how many houses I wanted to look at when reading this, as Therese Anne Fowler describes the buildings so well, and I kept wanting to see what they looked like today!  Sadly, the ones in New York don't survive, but still lovely to look at online!

I did also look up characters on Wikipedia, and was interested in how Alva's daughter Consuelo wrote about her mother in her autobiography, The Glitter and the Gold, and yes, I want to read that now!  

All in all, this was a really enjoyable read, and made me interested in American history!

This was written by the same person who wrote Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald, which Amazon then made into a series called Z: The Beginning of Everything, starring Christina Ricci, and having read A Well-Behaved Woman, I now want to read Z!


A Well-Behaved Woman was published on 24th January this year, and is available on Amazon, and everywhere else you can find books!

I was given this book for free in return for an unbiased review, so my thanks to NetGalley and to John Murray Press (the publishers) for this book.

Check out my GoodReads profile to see more reviews!

Comments

Popular Posts