Recent Reads: The Island by Ragnar J贸nasson

My review: 馃専馃専馃専馃専


The Island by Ragnar J贸nasson is set in Iceland.  Four friends go to an island, and one of them dies.  DI Hulda comes to investigate, and starts to find links to a previous death 10 years before.

This is a dark, descriptive book, with landscape that sounds so different, but beautiful.  It's a good nordic noir, with liars and deception twisting the path to the truth.

I enjoyed the story, and learning more about DI Hulda.  There are hints about her life with her husband and daughter, and the grief of their deaths, along with that of her mother more recently.  

Interestingly, this is the second book in a trilogy about DI Hulda, with the first book, The Darkness, being set 10 years after this book.  Reading around, I've found that the trilogy is written in reverse time order.  I haven't read The Darkness, but this is such an unusual idea!

The Island was published on 4th April 2019,  and is available to buy on Amazon  and on Waterstones.  I've found a link to where you can search for local bookshops, including independent!

You can follow Ragnar J贸nasson through his website.

If you're interested in nordic noir crime books, then here's some others I've reviewed:
The Wolf and the Watchman by Niklas Natt och Dag
The Chestnut Man by S酶ren Sveistrup

I was given this book for free in return for an unbiased review, so my thanks to NetGalley and to Penguin UK - Michael Joseph (the publishers) for this book.

Check out my GoodReads profile to see more reviews!

Comments

Popular Posts