Recent Reads: Darkdawn by Jay Kristoff

My review: 🌟🌟🌟🌟


Darkdawn is the third, and final book in the Nevernight series, featuring Mia, a orphan who swears vengeance on those that killed her father and had her mother thrown in a jail that would kill her.

At this point, I need to say this book is also grimdark fantasy.  What is grimdark?  It's dark, disturbing and in a dystopian setting.  Joe Abercrombie writes it, J R R Tolkien did, and according to Wikipedia, so does George R R Martin, and I can see that now.  

If you haven't read any of the Nevernight series, starting with Nevernight, and the second is Godsgrave, then please stop reading now, because spoilers ahead!

.....

Ah good, now that they've gone, we can get down to it!  Darkdawn is obviously another bloody book, after all, grimdark!  Mia assassinated Cardinal Duomo, stabbed Consul Scaeva, grabbed her brother Jonnen, and bolted.  Her vengeance taken, and her brother returned to her, so all is good, right?

Jay Kristoff* has written a great ending to this story, and one that I didn't feel like there were any loose ends.  I enjoyed the tone of the book, the author's voice, the characters, the magic and the world.  It was all really good!

And I would be more than happy to visit there again!

I felt like I needed to learn Photoshop in order to take a photo of this book, as I wanted to make the shadows from the book swirl, and creep, and maybe put a cat in there.  Instead I just tried to make the shadow darker.  That'll have to be enough!

Darkdawn was published on 5th September 2019,  and is available to buy on Amazon  and on Waterstones, complete with signed editions!  I've found a link to where you can search for local bookshops, including independent!

You can follow Jay Kristoff on Twitter, or through his website.

If you're interested in grimdark fantasy, then check out Joe Abercrombie, starting with The Blade Itself, or George R R Martin with A Game of Thrones, or maybe J R R Tolkien with The Fellowship of the Ring!

I borrowed this book from the library, so thanks to the library service for having such great books!

Check out my GoodReads profile to see more reviews!

*Who loves his footnotes, and makes fun of writing them constantly.

Comments

Popular Posts