My 5 star books of 2018


Isn't it funny how our brains work!  I decided to write this post, thinking there was going to be two or three books that I had rate 5 stars, and it turns out there's a few more than that! 

I wanted to share the books that I loved in 2018, maybe to give you new ideas, a nice way for me to reflect on 2018, and a reminder that we don't always remember all of the good things!

There's a mixture of genres below, so have a look through, and see if you're inspired by anything!

GoodReads do a voted for book awards every year, and you can view 2018's here!

The Bear and the Nightingale and The Girl in the Tower by Katherine Arden, which are books 1 and 2 in the Winternight trilogy, and book 3 is out now!  I've reviewed books 1 and 2 here.

Once Upon a River by Diane Setterfield, which I have reviewed here

The Last by Hanna Jameson, which is due out on, and I will be reviewing on here on 24th January.

Five books of Glamorist Histories, that I loved, by Mary Robinette Kowal

Reamde by Neal Stephenson

Turn the ship around! by L. David Marquet

Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik, which I have reviewed here, and was up for the GoodReads Choice Awards 2018

The Strange Case of the Alchemist's Daughter by Theodora Goss

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Jane Austen at Home by Lucy Worsley

Belgravia by Julian Fellowes

Foundation by Isaac Asimov

Three Bobiverse books by Dennis E. Taylor, which I have reviewed here

Circe by Madeline Miller, which was up for the GoodReads Choice Awards 2018

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman, which was a book everyone was talking about, and worthy of all that talk!

Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow, which I read as I love the soundtrack for Alexander Hamilton the musical, (not seen it yet!), and wanted to understand more about the background for the songs and the plot.  It was a huge book 

The Furthest Station and The Hanging Tree by Ben Aaronovitch

Quite Ugly One Morning, Boiling A Frog, One Fine Day In The Middle Of The Night, All Fun And Games Until Someone Looses An Eye, and Not The End Of The World all by Christopher Brookmyre.  I've been re-reading his early books so that I can read his later books, and they're all really, really good!

Godsgrave by Jay Kristoff

Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur - traumatic poetry, but very good

Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert 

Lovecraft Country by Matt Ruff

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J K Rowling, the illustrated edition 

If you're interested enough, here's the link to my GoodReads, so you can see what else I've been reading!

Comments

Popular Posts