D'oh nuts

Last week I decided that I needed to put my baked doughnut kit from Lakeland to work!

I've not baked anything, or really cooked much at all in the last year, as I've been going to college 2 nights a week, working a full time job which needed a bit more of my time than full time, and trying to get ready for the next college class, oh yes, and do housework and cooking etc.

My other half did step up to the plate, but then he had family issues, and also a full time job, so one of my bits to do now that I am not working (yay!) is to tidy the house, and getting rid of all the bits that we've just held on to instead of getting rid of!

So far, I've only started on my desk and shelves, and I've done the baking bits in the kitchen (a lot of them had gone out of date, just to really underline how long it has been since I did any amount of baking!) but it's immediately feeling better, and that there's more room in our pretty crowded house (there's only 2 of us, no pets, but we have a lot of stuff!).

But anyway, doughnuts!  I mostly made a mess, and wasn't very good about reading all of the recipe properly, but what has turned out are very good not-doughnuts!  They have too much rise (I used self raising flour when I should have used plain flour with baking powder in it), and I filled the mould too full, but it's made very nice... things!  I begged my other half to take some into work, which he has done, and reported back that they were well received, which is always good to hear (but then again, they seem to be a swarm of locusts there, that will eat anything, as will most people in offices!).

 I've just watched the video on the doughnut moulds on the Lakeland website, and realised I was meant to pipe the doughnut mixture into everything, but hey, what can you do other than learn to be better next time!  Still not sure on the whole piping it in though...!


I slopped my mixture in with a couple of spoons!

Yup, you can really see that here!!

In the oven - bake, my pretties!

Empty moulds, to prove that some of them should have had holes...

Butter cinnamon sugar yumminess!
 When I say I didn't read the instructions, the above picture should be of two separate pots - one of melted butter, and the other of sugar with cinnamon mixed in. Instead, I put the sugar and cinnamon in the melted butter, and then dipped the doughnuts in that wonderful concoction.  I regret nothing!

Dipped and warm doughnuts
So it has been a success, but that feels a bit of a happy chance, rather than planned for!  As you can see, they all rose wonderfully, but none has the hole in the top (at least 3 of them have it in the bottom...!) So all in all, not perfect, and I'll need to do them again, if only to be able to play with icing on the top, in the meantime, I have yummy things to munch!


Comments

  1. Mmmmh, I actually think they look pretty tasty. Can I start a subscription go your baked goods please?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts