Passion

This is another post from 2010 that I was working on... I've finished it slightly, but mostly it was written then!

I've spent this morning looking at blogs, doing chores, and thinking, oddly enough about passions.

What I mean by passion is something that I can't live without, something that could almost be described as a need, except I view need as something that you have no control over - you *need* to breath, whereas I am passionate about reading, and other things, but I'll come on to those.

Reading is one of those things that I was slow to warm up to. I struggled when I was at primary school, but I seem to have been making up for that struggle ever since. I am, as best can be described, a bookworm. I read anything and everything, but that doesn't mean that I don't have an opinion on what I read.

Other things that I am passionate about would be my fiance, my friends and family, writing (note from present me - I've not done much of that the last couple of years, and this blog is my return to writing!), and history in general. These are the things that make me up, and I think that if you take one of them away, then I wouldn't be me, or at least not as much!

But where does passion become obsession? It's very easy to point at the craze of vampires, and to look at Twilight fans, and say that they are obsessed, but is that because of their age (the books are written for young adults), or is it just that vampires are a subject that has fascinated us for many years, and that we're seeing how many people are fans because of the media and the internet? Look at Anne Rice, and now True Blood, the series based on the books by Charlaine Harris. Many people are reported to have flocked to New Orleans over the years, to see the setting, and to imagine the characters that Anne Rice made, walking down the streets.

It could be the case that these are just the books that are now available. When I was growing up, the books that I could find in my local library were Anne McCaffrey, and Diana Wynne-Jones if i was lucky, and I'm only in my late 20s (another note from present me - I am no longer in my late 20s....!). The books that young adults/ teenagers have access to now is amazing - there are so many fantasy and sci-fi books written for them specifically, which I think is fantastic, but is a very interesting comment on the way that authors have changed over the years. Is it that more fantasy and sci-fi authors are writing for young adults, or is it that publishers are publishing more of these? Either way, I look forward to introducing my niece and nephews to these books when they're older.


Comments

Popular Posts