Recent Reads: City of Girls by Elizabeth Gilbert

My review: 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

City of Girls by Elizabeth Gilbert is mostly set in 1940s New York, from the point of view of Vivian Morris, then a 19 year old, good at sewing, but we are told her story by 95 year old Vivian, set in the present day.

Vivian has had a boring upbringing, and is ready for adventure, so when she can go and live with her Aunt Peg, who owns a rundown theatre, in a run down part of New York, she is thrilled.  When they discover that she can sew, they make her the seamstress, and she is surrounded by the glamorous people of the theatre, and is soon going out on the town with them.

This was a very evocative story, with the characters enjoyable, and flawed.  I really enjoyed reading Vivian's life story, even if there were moments when you wanted to reach into the book and shake her.

This was the first fiction book that I've read by Elizabeth Gilbert, but I have previously really enjoyed a couple of her non-fiction books; Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear, and the famous Eat, Pray, Love (I also really liked the film with Julia Roberts!).

City of Girls was published on 4th June 2019,  and is available to buy on Amazon  and on Waterstones.  I've found a link to where you can search for local bookshops, including independent!

I was given this book for free in return for an unbiased review, so my thanks to NetGalley and to Bloomsbury Publishing (the publishers) for this book.

Check out my GoodReads profile to see more reviews!

Comments

Popular Posts