Recent Reads: Swan Song by Kelleigh Greenberg-Jephcott

My review: 🌟🌟🌟🌟

Swan Song by Kelleigh Greenberg-Jephcott is about Truman Capote, and the glamorous high society women he called his Swans, and his betrayal of them.

Truman Capote loved gossip, and his Swans all told him secrets - theirs, and their friends, all of which they believed he would keep.  But, he used these women's lives as grist for the writing mill, changing names but little else, and told some of their deepest darkest secrets in an extract for a book he was writing call Answered Prayers.  

Swan Song is a fictional re-telling, with some of the secrets, from the point of view of the women he betrayed, as a fictional chorus of 'we'.  It has details about Truman Capote's life, friendships and love.

I really enjoyed Swan Song as it had a good mix of shock, the sadness of betrayal, and the attempt to live after.  

I've not read anything by Truman Capote (don't worry he's on the list now!), and it's funny that I've read a book about Harper Lee (Furious Hours, which I reviewed in May), and now about Capote as I never knew they were childhood friends, even if they did drift apart later in life.


This is Kelleigh Greenbery-Jephcott's debut novel, and what a start as it was longlisted for the Women's Prize for Fiction 2019!


Swan Song was published on 9th July 2019,  and is available to buy on Amazon  and on Waterstones.  I've found a link to where you can search for local bookshops, including independent!

I was given this book for free in return for an unbiased review, so my thanks to NetGalley and to Random House UK (the publishers) for this book.

Check out my GoodReads profile to see more reviews!

Comments

Popular Posts