Recent Reads: I'll Be Gone In The Dark by Michelle McNamara

My rating: 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

I'll be gone in the dark is Michelle McNamara's recounting of the Golden State Killer, which is the name she gave the East Area Rapist, who moved out of the East area, and started to kill people.  McNamara felt that he wasn't being talked about as he didn't have a catchy name.

As the book states, it is an obsessive search, and she does talk about that, but she also talks about the crimes, and the evidence.  All in all, it was a very well researched book, if you like true crime!

This was finished by friends of McNamara's (Billy Jensen (investigative reporter) and Paul Haynes (researcher)), as she died writing the book.  Some credit her popularising the Golden State Killer leading to the arrest of Joseph DeAngelo in April 2018, who is going to stand trial for these crimes.

I found My Favorite Murder (MFM) podcast last year, and gobbled up over 200 episodes (they're just coming up for 300 in total), and loved Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark's frankness over their anxiety, mental health struggles, addiction, and how talking about true crime helps them!

Their book Stay Sexy and Don't Get Murdered was out on 28th May this year, and they have live shows in London on 27th and 28th November this year! 

MFM have introduced me to so many true crimes I didn't know existed, and then they mentioned "I'll be gone in the Dark", and hosted an event for it, and I knew that I had to read it!  Luckily for me, my library had a copy!

Billy Jensen (who helped to finish the book), and Paul Holes (criminalist, who was involved in the Golden State Killer case) have their own podcast now, called The Murder Squad, where they talk about true crimes that haven't been solved, and ask for help from armchair investigators in solving them!  Episode 3 is about the Golden State Killer, if you'd like to listen to that!


I'll be Gone in the Dark is available to buy on Amazon  and on Waterstones.  I've found a link to where you can search for local bookshops, including independent!

Check out my GoodReads profile to see more reviews!

Comments

Popular Posts