Recent films: Last Christmas (9th December)

My rating: 🔔🔔🔔🔔

An entire film with George Michael songs only, entitled Last Christmas... I didn't know what to expect, but in my head I had thought rom-com, from the trailer, I had seen.


I was partially correct. I don't want to spoil the film, so I'm just going to talk about the early bits, but try to tell you what I thought!


Emilia Clarke (yes, Daenerys from Game of Thrones, and wow does she have expressive eyebrows. I don't think I had appreciated them much before!) plays a young woman, Katarina aka Kate, who makes bad choices and doesn't understand how her life can be this awful.

Emma Thompson plays her mother, who escaped with her family from Yugoslav. She is pretty dramatic, and drives Kate nuts.


Henry Golding (Crazy Rich Asians) plays Tom, who appears in Kate's life, showing her things she had never seen or appreciated before. "Look up!" is something he says a lot when they first meet.

Kate works at a year round Christmas shop and dresses as an elf, with Michelle Yeoh playing the shop owner, called Santa.

This was a Christmas film with a message of looking outside yourself to see how you can help others lines to make yourself happy.

All in all, I enjoyed the film! I think I've only seen vague adverts, as reading IMDB I saw that people had guessed the entire plot 3 months ago as the adverts were too obvious! So, don't watch those!

It's more like It's a Wonderful Life than Love Actually in that I mean I was sobbing my little heart out, but the two people I went with weren't. I'm a cryer, though! I cried at Dumbo (the original, not sure I on put myself through the new one).

To sum up, do go and see Last Christmas. I enjoyed it, as did the other two (the non cryers!) that I went with. It was a very Christmasy film, and it was interesting listening to all of the George Michael songs throughout!

Comments

Popular Posts